Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Spiced Pumkpin and Oat Smoothie (and a word of thanks)

Every November, my Facebook feed is full of people giving thanks on a daily basis.  They give thanks for their jobs, their families, their friends, their cats, and their pumpkin pie.  I really love the idea of this month-long project of announcing gratitude to all who care to pay attention.  I always intend to join their chorus of thanks giving, but inevitably November 6 or 15 or 20 rolls around and I realize that I have neglected the discipline and decide that I cannot possibly join ranks with the grateful so late in the game.  

Still, I want to say that I am thankful for you.  You, the one reading this blog.  One day, I intend to write a post about why I have chosen to take a few hours each week to dedicate to blogging.  In large part, I do it because I see it as part of my journey of self-discovery and expression.  It is part of my attempt to be where I am and who I am in this moment, without apology but while striving to deepen my knowledge and expand my capability.  

So, in reading this, you are joining with me in this journey.  You are watching as I write long and awkward sentences full of unnecessary commas.  You are gazing on, and maybe sometimes wincing, as I attempt to learn the art of photography.  Chances are, you'll try one or two of my recipes and find one of them to be rather dull or even gross.  I want you to know that your engagement with me, with this content, means a lot.  Your supportive comments, whether on the blog, on Facebook, or in person, give me the courage to do this.  I know it may not seem like a big deal, but this is all about being vulnerable for me.  So, thanks.  You're great.

Speaking of great, have you tried Cranberry's Pumpkin Pie Smoothie?  It is so delicious.  I've actually only had a few taste test sips, but I crave it all of the time.  The eatery's smoothie is all vegan, but with vanilla soy ice cream, pumpkin pie filling, and extra sweetener, I would call it a rather decadent treat.  I decided to try to create a similar smoothie that was guilt-free and breakfast worthy.  Here's what I came up with:



Spiced Pumpkin and Oat Smoothie (vegan, GF option)
1 cup milk (almond, soy, oat, regular, etc.)
3 tbs canned pure pumpkin
1 small frozen banana 
1/4 cup oats (for gluten free, make sure your oats are labeled GF)
1 tbs pumpkin butter*
1 tsp agave or maple syrup (optional)
scant 1/4 tsp cinnamon
scant 1/8 tsp nutmeg
scant 1/8 tsp ginger
sprinkle of cloves (about 1/16 tsp)

*I used Trader Joe's Pumpkin Butter because I had it on hand.  If you don't have pumpkin butter around, just add a bit more sweetener and a smidge more spice.



Throw everything in a blender and blend until smooth.  But you already knew that, didn't you?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment