Saturday, November 16, 2013

Grilled Brie, Butternut Squash, Apple, and Sage Sandwich

A few weeks ago, we had lunch at Devil's Backbone in Nelson County with new friends, Kristin and Shane.  I work(ed) with Kristin at Cranberry's and we decided that our husbands needed to be best friends forever.  No pressure. 

I've been thinking about Kristin and Shane a lot lately.  I say that I "work(ed)" with her because Kristin is on maternity leave, awaiting the arrival of their baby boy.  In a matter of days, they will be parents, their lives changed forever.  How terrifying, how miraculous, how wonderful.  It's crazy how much I already care about this kid, the unborn child of a new friend.  Two and a half years ago, my dear friend Jackie was pregnant with her second baby, Rowan.  That little girl and her older brother, Gavin, are the most phenomenal beings.  Every time I see them, they have further developed their personalities, their independence, their fight.  I am dumbfounded by how much I love those itty bitty people.

I cannot fathom a mother's love.  I think that is what I am trying to say.  Having my world turned upside down by a seven pound creature is unimaginable to me.  The thought of that same creature co-opting my life from that moment on is baffling and, honestly, rather undesirable at the moment.  But, then, I see those of you who have brought new life into this world and who have joyfully sacrificed sleep, entertainment, quiet, order, dreams, careers, hobbies, and so much more, and I get it.  For a flickering moment, I understand.  I want to tell you that I honor you.  I honor the love that you have for your children, the dedication with which you care for them, the selflessness with which you serve.  Thank you.

Alas, I have no plans to create life any time soon, so for now I'll stick with creating recipes.  Today, a grilled cheese sandwich that'll knock your socks off.  I promise.  

When we visited Devil's Backbone with Kristin and Shane, Jordan and I split a grilled gouda-butternut squash jam-apple sandwich.  This sandwich, a little less sweet and a little more savory, is inspired by their menu item.  



Oh. Yeah.  Look, this sandwich is good.  So good. 

First, let's talk about the Butternut Squash Puree.  A touch of agave (or maple syrup) produces a subtle sweetness.  A pinch of cloves and a dash of cayenne creates a soft warmth.  A dollop of coconut oil grants the flavors an intriguing depth.  This puree could be served as a side dish or used to create a number of recipes.  I think it would be absolutely divine as a base for a pasta dish.

Butternut Squash Puree
(makes slightly more than one cup)

1/2 butternut squash
1tbs coconut oil
1/2 tbs agave or maple syrup
heaping 1/8 tsp cloves 
small pinch cayenne
1/8 tsp black pepper
salt to taste

Remove outer layer from butternut squash and chop.
Bring quart of water to a boil.  Once the water is boiling, add a pinch of salt.  Add butternut squash.
Boil until the squash has softened, 8 to 10 minutes.  Drain.
Transfer squash to food processor and add all other ingredients.  Pulse until smooth.
Store in an airtight container.  Will keep in the fridge for about 3 days.

.....................................................................................................................................

Now, the sandwich.

Grilled Brie, Butternut Squash, Apple and Sage Sandwich
(for two sandwiches)

4 slices whole grain bread
thinly sliced Brie  (enough to cover two slices of the bread)
1 small Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
8 sage leaves (more or less, depending on size of leave and taste preference)
2-4 tbs Butternut Squash Puree
butter

Heat frying pan or grill on medium-high heat.
In a small amount of butter or olive oil, expose sage to heat for several minutes, allowing the leaves to soften and become fragrant.
Butter outer side of each slice of bread.
Assemble sandwiches by placing Brie on bottom slice of bread, adding apple, sage, and butternut puree.  Cover with second slice of bread and place in pan or on grill.
Grill sandwich for 2-4 minutes on each side.






Once your sandwich has reached what you consider to be grilled perfection, slice, transfer to a lovely plate, and nosh.

With love (and butternut squash),
Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment