Friday, October 18, 2013

[recipe] love

Friends,

It's Friday.  For a short time, Friday meant a weekend with Jordan was ahead.  I really didn't understand what we had.  Two days together, relatively free of obligation.  These days, we get one day (mostly) off together.  I don't mean to complain.  We've made our decisions and we continuously evaluate and reevaluate them.  At the end of the day, our relationship is more important than jobs and activities and projects.  Those things are negotiable.

 I've been realizing recently that sharing a meal in the midst of hectic schedules is one of the most practical and meaningful way of connecting at the beginning or end of a day.   Admittedly, a lot of our meals are spent watching our favorite sitcoms.  We recognize that this may not be the most connective activity, but that isn't what I'm here to talk about.  Whatever we are doing during our meals, whether it be giggling uncontrollably watching New Girl or having meaningful conversation, there is something  inherently connective about sharing a meal.  Together, we experience the flavor, the sating  of our hunger, the sound of the fork hitting the plate.

While I believe firmly in the connective power of a shared meal, I also believe in the connective power of a meal eaten alone.  In either context, food connects us to the world in which we live.  It is grown, transported, manipulated, and made by other human beings.  It is given to us by the earth, a gift of life and delight.  Our need for food reminds us of our dependent nature.  We are dependent on the earth, on others, on ourselves, on God.  

Yet food is difficult.  Sometimes there isn't enough.  Few of us know what it is like to experience ongoing hunger.  Most of us have too much food.  We can't seem to get away from it, even when we try.  Still, though we consume much and often, we do not approach food with intentionality.  A frozen dinner here, a granola bar there, a handful of chips, a can of soup.

I understand.  Life is busy.  Cleaning up after making a meal is the worst.  I don't have a dishwasher.  There are dishes.  All. Of. The. Time.  

But can you do something this weekend?  Make a meal and eat it with your friend, your significant other, your parents, your kids, or yourself.  Savor it and remember that it connects us all to one another and to this beautiful, amazing world in which we find ourselves.

In case you need some inspiration, here are some recipes I'm loving these days:

1. These Chickpea Crepes with Artichoke Aioli are to die for.  I skip the mushrooms and roasted tomatoes and fill them with roasted vegetables (peppers, red onions, garlic, asparagus) and wilted spinach.  

2.  I made Cauliflower Steaks earlier this week.  I used this recipe, but added curry powder.  Make it classy and serve them on top of a tower of mashed red potatoes, wilted spinach or kale, and roasted red peppers.  Glory.


3.  In the mood for breakfast?  You must make these Pumpkin Spice Latte Waffles.  There is brewed coffee in the batter.  Did you feel that?  Your taste buds just did a happy dance.

4.  Tracy made my Wednesday.  I saw an instagram of this soup in the morning and made it for dinner that evening.  I made it vegetarian friendly by simply replacing the chicken stock with vegetable stock.  I couldn't find tortellini that wasn't crazy processed, so I grabbed some organic basil and pinenut ravioli instead.

5.  Have you ever tried vegan mac and cheese? I have an never liked it before Isa came to the rescue again.  While I don't find it helpful to think of it as mac and cheese (lest I expect it to actually taste like it), this dish is just as soul-comforting and is guilt free.

Have a great weekend, beautiful people.  

No comments:

Post a Comment