Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Kitchn Cure: The Other Days

Ok, so, the Kitchn Cure.  It involved a lot of organization and a lot of cleaning.  Am I right?  If you didn't sign up, take my word for it.  If you did, call me and let's commiserate together.

Admittedly, I still haven't gotten around to Day 4: Deep Clean.  Cue a tantrum from my inner brat.  She's the one who likes to stomp her feet and whine until she gives herself what she wants.  Oh yeah, she's THAT girl.  I'll get around to it one of these days.

I did, however, manage to clean and organize the pantry (Day 2), declutter my appliances (one-third of Day 3), restock a few ingredients (Day 5), pick up the steel mixing bowl I've been meaning to purchase for at least a year (Day 6), complete a small special project (Day 7), and bring two new plants into the kitchen (Day 8).  Days 9 and 10 involved cooking myself a meal and then planning a dinner party.  I actually really loved that one day was dedicated to cooking a meal for yourself.  While I cook dinner most evenings, I realize that there are a lot of people who either do not or cannot do so regularly.  Even after a day of making food for other people for eight hours, coming home and crafting a meal, however simple or complex, for myself and Jordan reminds me to slow down and savor both the process and result.  I hope that by setting aside time to make it happen, hundreds of people found peace in feeling the crisp pepper yield to the knife's sharp edge, breathing in the aroma of toasted spices, and experiencing the explosion of flavor as the roasted tomato burst in their mouths.

Of course, I also love that Day 10 asked participants to plan a dinner party.  I haven't decided whether or not I will plan a formal dinner party.  Again, I love that it was an assignment because I think that gathering together around a table is the epitome of life.  Really, I do.  While holding a formal, planned-well-in-advance dinner gathering would be lovely, having people at our table is pretty standard fare.

Overall, I felt the Kitchn Cure was only moderately helpful.  I wish it had been extended over a longer period of time and that there had been more emphasis on special projects.  I also wish that it had provided more ideas for how to better organize food and utensils for a more efficient space.  I know a few of you signed up.  What did you think of it?  Did you get super organized and clean?  Accomplish any fun projects?


But, again, a little goes a long way.  Without further ado, here are a few glimpses at my Kitchn Cure.  Forgive the picture quality, iPhone pictures all the way.

Pantry before:

Pantry after:



Eventually, we want to take down the door and put up a heavy curtain in its place to make the pantry more easily accessible and functional.  We plan to hang a peg board on the wall not visible in these photos and use it as storage for pots and pans.  Also, one day I'll get around to painting the walls and shelves and maybe even adding some fun wallpaper?  I'm thinking about frosting the window so that the shade could be removed.  But I'm also thinking a bamboo blind would work well. 

My project was simply hanging these letters.  I found them at Goodwill for a $12.  I snagged an air-purifying plant for the cork-bottomed planter seen below.  I picked up the planter at Crate and Barrel for $4 months ago and hadn't taken the time to do anything with it.  I'm so happy it houses a happy plant now!








No comments:

Post a Comment